Chaos Rankings

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

"After further review..."

"...the ruling on the field is overturned. Failure to correctly typecast an int to a double, coder, number 1. 10 pushups. Penalty will be enforced during workout Thursday."

Like the zebra said, I forgot to cast into a double when I divided an int by another int, so all my values were either 0 or 1 rather than a range of values between 0 and 1. Whoops. Much of it was disguised by the fact that I use two separate methods for determining rank and then average the scores. So what you've basically been looking at is a difference-only rating, which is why Clemson didn't budge and USC did. Their differential is huge. Which is why I also use a ratio-based method to counteract that aspect. That should all be fixed up now. I thought something seemed wonky with the huge gap in score between undefeated teams and teams that have lost, but initially assumed that it would even itself out as the season went on and SOS began to take more of an effect. Oh well. It's fixed now. Game on!

I corrected the Week 9 rankings shown below to reflect the correct rankings after fixing my typecast mistake.

Additional self-imposed punishment:
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
"I am not a good coder."
That's a lot leasier to do than writing on a blackboard... Thanks cut-n-paste! ;)

1 Comments:

  • 10 pushups was a lot harder than I remembered... All this engineering I do has done little to strengthen my weak-little-girl arms.

    By Blogger Rev. Adam, at 11/03/2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home